JOB OF THE WEEK: Chief Executive, British Olympic Association
We’re delighted to bring you details on the latest Job of the Week – powered by GlobalSportsJobs – which is for a Chief Executive at the British Olympic Association (BOA).
The British Olympic Association (BOA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, with responsibility for the conduct and management of all Olympic-related activity in those countries. The BOA’s primary responsibility is to select, lead and support Team GB on their journey to and during, the Olympic Winter Games, the Olympic Games, the Youth Olympic Games and other IOC designated events, including the European Youth Olympic Festivals and the European Games.
The British National Governing Bodies for Olympic sport comprise the membership of the BOA. The BOA seeks to support and serve this membership by being a strong, independent and credible voice of British Olympic Sport within the UK and internationally.
The BOA’s Board of Directors is made up of elected representatives from the Olympic sports, as well as International Olympic Committee Members, Independent Non-Executive Directors and the Chair of the BOA Athletes Commission. The BOA is an independent and privately funded organisation that relies mainly upon the income it receives from commercial programmes as well as fundraising and events.
The BOA Chief Executive Officer reports directly to the Chairman and is a member of the BOA Board of Directors. The CEO will have overall accountability for the day to day operations of the BOA, providing leadership to the organisation in its delivery of the agreed strategic objectives. Key areas of focus include:
Leadership and People
- To lead the BOA team through to Tokyo 2020 and beyond ensuring the organisation is structured and prepared to deliver the challenges of upcoming Games and specific projects;
- To demonstrate exceptional leadership and direction to the management team, establishing interpersonal skills and fostering a team working environment;
- To promote timely decision making and reporting that is aligned to the strategic priorities of the BOA and within the agreed financial parameters;
- To develop a positive working environment and to deliver a high-performance culture as well as performance management systems that enable meaningful succession planning and create an environment that supports the team to perform at its best
Commercial and Finance
- To implement a comprehensive funding strategy that generates the revenue required to deliver the BOA’s strategic plan;
- To work collaboratively with the commercial director to attract long term commercial sponsorship and partnership packages which will enhance the BOA’s image and value whilst delivering a genuine return on investment for partners;
- To develop relationships at a senior level with key stakeholders and commercial partners that are nurtured for the long term benefit of British Olympic Sport;
- To manage within an agreed budget and make financial decisions based on performance priorities whilst balancing the need to protect the long term financial viability of the business;
- To encourage innovation in revenue generation to deliver new income streams for the organisation
Games, Athlete and Olympic Values focus
- To take a programme orientated approach and manage the cycle of participation in Games and festivals ensuring that both human and financial resource is directed appropriately to each event;
- To ensure the BOA works in partnership to deliver world class services to athletes and members of Team GB at each event they participate in;
- To innovate as an NOC and be a leader in athlete relations and Games operations ensuring the team embeds learnings from past programmes;
- To act in a way and manner that is consistent with the BOA’s values and the Olympic values
Membership and Stakeholder Management
- To build strong relationships with the BOA’s membership – the National Governing Bodies for the Olympic sports – at CEO and Chair level;
- To build on the strong collaborative relationships established with the BOA’s partners including UK Sport, Home Country Sports Institutes, British Paralympic Association and Government departments including the Department for Digital Culture Media and Sport;
- To represent the BOA and their membership at events and meetings domestically and internationally
The successful candidate will have substantial experience of operating at Board level including a demonstrable track record of playing a leading role in an organisation in a fast-paced environment.
- Operational and strategic experience in a senior leadership role with responsibility for staff and budgets including experience of creating a high-performance programme orientated organisation that empowers people and fosters cross functional working;
- Business and commercial acumen, with the ability to negotiate contracts and maintain excellent relationships with partners and donors;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build strong senior relationships across sport and non-sport stakeholders and partners, both domestically and internationally;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to adapt to a wide variety of audiences including the media;
- Experience and understanding of working in the domestic or international sporting landscape is advantageous;
- Should be available to take up the role within a short time frame;
- Any candidate interested in applying should apply by clicking the apply button and should submit a brief (no more than one side of A4) cover letter with a CV by no later than 5pm 25 March 2019.
- An ad-hoc Nominations Committee of the BOA shall short list candidates for interview and candidates will be notified week commencing 1 April 2019.
- If you have any questions in relation to this candidate brief and/or the process, these should be submitted to the BOA’s Director of Legal: CLICK HERE
British Olympic Association (BOA)
The British Olympic Association’s (BOA) mission is to transform British lives through the power of the Olympic values and the success of Team GB.
To view the full job description, click here.