- May 2, 2023
- Posted by: SportsV
- Categories: Case Studies, Event News, Featured Articles, Features, Home News, Industry News, News, Press Releases
For more than one hundred years, Eden Park has been the home of Auckland Cricket and Auckland Rugby. To ensure the venue’s continued success, the Eden Park Trust has revealed its vision for the future of New Zealand’s national stadium – Eden Park 2.0.
Eden Park CEO, Nick Sautner, said:
Eden Park 2.0 delivers a world-class, multi-purpose, hybrid stadium. It’s a venue where New Zealand can continue to make its mark on the world, a hub for sporting excellence, a state-of-the-art entertainment centre and a destination for fans from across the world.
Eden Park has always been, and will continue to be, a community asset for Tamaki Makaurau and a strategic asset for Aotearoa, New Zealand. Our 2.0 vision for the future of the national stadium will not only benefit sports and entertainment fans but also contribute to the economic growth of the country.
Eden Park is our place; it’s been part of our past for 120 years, and it will be part of our future. Our goal with 2.0 is to create a venue that not only showcases the best sporting, entertainment, cultural and community events but also promotes sustainability and innovation.
Offering increased capacity and an enhanced experience for everyone who comes to Eden Park, 2.0 builds on our strong legacy and reputation as an iconic stadium venue, suitable for hosting a diverse range of global and domestic events.
Eden Park CEO, Nick Sautner, will be speaking at ALSD International 2023, discussing the role stadia play in their communities and the key drivers for Eden Park 2.0.
Speaking about the key drivers, Mr Sautner added:
Eden Park 2.0 is based on several critical elements: modernisation, sustainability, connectivity, and accessibility. Together these transform our globally iconic stadium and future-proofs The Fortress for generations to come.
Eden Park 2.0
Eden Park 2.0 delivers a venue where New Zealand can continue to make its mark on the world, a hub for sporting excellence, a state-of-the-art entertainment centre and a destination for fans from across the world.
Eden Park 2.0 is a venue that not only showcases the best sporting, entertainment, cultural and community events but also promotes sustainability and innovation, with key features of the phased development including:
- Modernisation: To ensure Eden Park remains at the forefront of sporting and entertainment venues, 2.0 encompasses a new North Stand, upgrades to the East and West stands, enhanced entry promenades, an all-weather retractable roof which guarantees play and broadcast in any weather conditions, multiple fields of play options (suitable for rectangle and oval play formats), different crowd configurations and capacities, new function and entertainment spaces and amenities to enhance the experience for everyone.
- Sustainability: A key priority for Eden Park is environmental sustainability, and we will incorporate our commitment to reducing the country’s carbon footprint into the design and construction. Current initiatives include the installation of our new LED lights, our community refugee garden, the Eden Park beehives and honey, our community compost centre, spectator waste management practices and new EV charging technologies.
- Connectivity: Improved transport connections, including the CRL and proposed light rail network, will provide enhanced accessibility for fans travelling to and from Eden Park from all around Auckland.
- Accessibility: Eden Park is our place, and we remain committed to making it accessible for everyone to enjoy events. Eden Park 2.0 will continue to meet the needs of all fans, including those with disabilities, by incorporating accessible seating, restrooms, and other amenities.
ALSD International 2023 is being hosted at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium, October 9-10. Optimising revenue through New Builds, Renovations & Service Expansions is the key focus of this industry-leading event, with architecture & design, fan experience, hospitality, premium seating, sustainability and technology taking centre stage.
Mr Sautner added:
A modern, sustainable, connected, and accessible national stadium will attract more events and visitors to the area, creating new opportunities for local businesses and communities.
As a city of 1.6m and a country of 5m people, it is critical to have both broad national and regional stadium strategies, which are aligned and coordinated. This will ensure we have multi-purpose, hybrid venues capable of attracting and hosting a wide range of international and national sporting, entertainment, cultural and community events in Aotearoa, New Zealand. The Eden Park 2.0 vision is a cost-effective solution to help achieve this goal.
Eden Park will always be part of our future because it’s always been our home. We look forward to working with our community to bring this 2.0 vision to life. Together, we can create a national stadium that represents the best of our country and its people.
With a new North Stand, upgrades to the East and West stands, enhanced entry promenades, a new pedestrian bridge over Sandringham Road, an all-weather retractable roof which guarantees play and broadcast in any weather conditions, multiple fields of play options to accommodate rectangle and oval play formats and cater for different crowd capacities, new function and entertainment spaces, enhanced connectivity, and world-leading innovation, Eden Park will remain at the forefront of sporting and entertainment venues.
Source & imagery, courtesy: Eden Park
Sports Venue Business organises and delivers ALSD International – the leading event and 365 community for the Premium Seat & Hospitality sector – on behalf of the Association of Luxury Suite Directors (ALSD).
ALSD International 2023 is taking place at Etihad Stadium this October, with venue tours complimenting the high-level conference, exhibition and networking events. This year’s edition will also feature the inaugural ALSDI Tech Symposium and a Fan Experience breakout being delivered by IIFX.
#ALSDInternational – Europe’s leading event for the Premium Seat & Sports Hospitality sector
#ALSD – Leading the Premium Seat sector for the last 30 years
#sportsvenuebusiness – The leading platform for sector news, views & developments