- March 1, 2021
- Posted by: SportsV
- Categories: Event News, Home News, Industry News, Jobs News, News, Press Releases
We’re delighted to bring you details on the latest Job of the Week – powered by Global Sports – which is an exciting vacancy for a Head of Sport & Physical Activity at Birmingham City Council.
The Neighbourhoods Division is responsible for Birmingham’s Neighbourhood Advice, Neighbourhood Development, Cultural Development, Sport & Leisure, Community and Wellbeing Centres and Events, which operates a combined model of directly and externally managed services. These are delivered through various forms such as partnerships, community infrastructure, contracts with external parties, commissioned delivery etc.
Birmingham is renowned for its world-class sporting offer, the hosting of major events and its high quality of leisure provision. Birmingham City Council is ambitious and determined to maximise the opportunities that hosting the Commonwealth Games brings.
The role will be the figurehead for sport in the city driving partnerships to ensure local residents benefit from the services on offer – it will deliver a wide range of leisure functions but importantly create the environment to reposition Birmingham at the forefront of sporting excellence for the UK.
With responsibilities ranging from building a modern new, Games ready, Alexander Stadium, to over seeing the recovery of one of the country’s most historic swimming pools and from delivering an elite swimming and gymnastics programme, with athletes regularly representing Great Britain, to managing thousands of local people taking part in mass participation events – this role provides an opportunity to make a big impact on the national stage.
In this role, you will lead on the Sport and Physical Activity across the city in conjunction with relevant partners to drive participation and help tackle inequality/accessibility. Leading on developing our strategic approach is vital but so too is the investment in a new infrastructure and the management of our wide-ranging sport and leisure offer, whether through directly delivered or externalised services.
- Be responsible for monitoring performance and ensuring commitments around health inequality and access to physical activity opportunities are driven through and delivered. You will work with the Events team to identify, bid for and deliver major sporting events to enhance the city’s reputation as an international sporting city.
- You will also identify new funding streams for existing and new leisure provision and will identify opportunities, challenges and issues to drive forward activities to capitalise on opportunities. The opportunities presented by the Commonwealth Games are clearly there to be seized.
- You will have experience working at a senior level within a sport and physical activity environment and have a successful track record in sport and major sporting events. You are required to knowledge of current Health and Safety legislation relating to facility management and staging events
- You will need to think analytically to create and use concepts to explain and interpret situations and link information to create and communicate a rich pool of ideas.
- You will have the ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including elected members and senior officers.
- You must be able to plan, allocate and evaluate work carried out by yourself and members of your team as well as empower team members in an effective way.
- You must also be willing to coach, mentor and develop other as well as undertaking self-improvement.
Interviews for this post will take place virtually via video conferencing. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with further information.
Closing date: 7 March 2021.
For further information and to apply, click here.
#careers #careersinsport #jobsinsport #sportsbiz #sportsjobs
The Job of the Week is brought to you by Global Sports (GlobalSportsJobs), the world’s leading specialist careers platform for the international sports industry.
The upcoming virtual and hybrid editions of ALSD International will focus on increasing revenue via new builds, renovations, service expansions & technology, and reopening with confidence. The newly-added virtual event will be held March 15, 2021. For more, click on the banner below…
The hybrid event, being hosted by Liverpool Football Club, will feature a high-level conference, exhibition and networking events, as well as technical tours of Anfield, Everton’s Goodison Park and M&S Bank Arena. NB: Attendees can engage via the event microsites pre, during and post event.
#ALSDInternational – Europe’s leading event for the Premium Seat & Sports Hospitality sector
#ALSD – Leading the Premium Seat sector for the last 30 years
#sportsvenuebusiness – The leading platform for sector news, views & developments