- January 11, 2017
- Posted by: SportsV
- Categories: Home News, Industry News, News
The City of Orlando recently installed a Musco LED system at Amway Center as part of Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer’s Green Works Orlando program that aims to transform the city into one of the most sustainable cities in the nation.
Mayor Dyer said:
The City of Orlando is leading by example by making energy efficiency improvements to our own facilities. These improvements will not only save our taxpayers money, but they will also make a significant impact to our community by creating a more sustainable environment for future generations to come.
Amway Center, the preeminent sports and entertainment venue in Orlando, opened its doors in 2010 and is home to the NBA’s Orlando Magic and the ECHL’s Solar Bears. It is the first NBA facility to earn LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold in new construction certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, using 20 percent less energy and 40 percent less water than arenas of similar size.
In keeping with its tradition of offering an unmatched fan experience, the City of Orlando wanted a lighting system that would offer a superior visual experience without compromising the venue’s energy efficiency. Those needs were met with the features offered by Musco’s LED system:
- Improved Visibility – Customised optics focuses light onto the playing surface, preventing light from shining into the eyes of players and spectators
- Enhanced Experience – Superior light quality creates a stage-like atmosphere for spectators and eliminates the “flicker” effect during slow motion replay
- Energy Efficiency – Provides instant on/off capabilities and dimming controls for the light output to be adjusted when full power of the system is not needed
- Special Effects – Interfaces with a DMX control board for special effects
The system reduces energy consumption at Amway Center by 60 percent compared to the prior lighting equipment. And maintenance costs are eliminated with a comprehensive 10-year parts and labor warranty.
Jeff Rogers, Vice President of Musco Lighting, said:
We are thrilled to provide Amway Center with a lighting system that will deliver a superior entertainment experience and get the crowd going for games. Our system will also reduce energy consumption at the venue, eliminate any maintenance headaches with our 10-year warranty and provide the latest innovations in sports lighting special effects.
Amway Center joins an extensive list of facilities that feature an energy-efficient lighting system provided by Musco, including the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium, the San Antonio Spurs’ AT&T Center and the Detroit Pistons’ Palace of Auburn Hills.