JOB OF THE WEEK: Commercial Manager, British Weightlifting Association
We are delighted to bring you details on the latest Job of the Week – powered by Global Sports – which is an exciting vacancy for a Commercial Manager at the British Weightlifting Association (BWL).
The main purpose of the job is to promote and develop the BWL’s commercial potential, including new income streams, commercial sponsorship to support BWL activities and affinity schemes for members.
This is a great autonomous entrepreneurial role in ambitious organisation. To make it clear, you don’t need a passion for weightlifting – just elite sport.
- Identify key areas of the BWL’s operations and activities of interest to third parties; develop proposals, plans and actions to use these to secure incremental income.
- Produce a detailed plan outlining the main commercial avenues for investigation; highlight priorities and set out a realistic action plan and approach to deliver income and results.
- Contact and work closely with identified potential and established partners to secure new contracts, maintain current contracts, and seek increased return opportunities.
- Advise on and help develop the overall direction of the BWL’s commercial operations including the membership package, insurance scheme and online shop.
- Work with companies and mainstream brands to develop affinity schemes and discount packages for the benefit of BWL members.
- Generate sponsorship for the GB, England and Northern Ireland Weightlifting and Para-Powerlifting teams and key activities and events in the BWL’s annual calendar
- Advise on the development and commercial viability of existing and new products and services of relevance to members.
- Manage and develop the BWL’s policy on commercial partnerships and sponsorship.
- Provide monthly progress reports and forecasts of new income secured; deliver agreed incremental income targets in each financial year.
- Support grant applications for government funding as appropriate.
- Work with the CEO and Senior Management Team to ensure the alignment of new commercial activities with the BWL’s overall strategic objectives and direction.
- Attend occasional meetings of the BWL Board of Directors as required.
- Other tasks which the BWL may from time to time ask you to undertake.
The person specification describes the experience, qualifications, knowledge, skills and abilities that BWL are looking for.
- An energetic and committed commercial professional with a positive and entrepreneurial approach and strong interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter with a track record in initiating, planning and delivering commercial success at a senior level.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience – weightlifting is not essential but with an understanding of elite sport.
- Experience of delivering success against agreed targets.
- Understanding and experience of developing partnerships; current knowledge of the sports sponsorship and fundraising environment.
- Effective and persuasive communicator, verbal and written, and someone who delivers what is agreed; strong presentation skills.
- An individual who generates trust and confidence in partners, colleagues and other parties, and can work under pressure and to deadlines.
- A passion for sports and experience working in the sports industry.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and digital communications and media.
- A strong understanding of budget management, forecasting and delivery.
- Ability to work closely with colleagues across all BWL departments.
- Willingness to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Business degree.
- Experience of working for a membership organisation.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Research and analysis experience.
About British Weight Lifting
As the UK’s recognised Governing Body for Weight Lifting and Para-Powerlifting, our role is to inspire a nation of Weight Lifters and Para-Powerlifters through exceptional leadership and expertise.
We are responsible for the growth and success of Weight Lifting and Para-Powerlifting at every level. Our work sees us support a network of Weight Lifting bodies, clubs and gyms across the UK, as well as the thousands of people actively involved in Olympic and Paralympic Weight Lifting disciplines.
We strive to deliver exceptional training programmes, educational structures and competitions that create opportunities for individuals to participate and excel in our sport. Whether you’re an aspiring Weightlifter or Para-Powerlifter at your local club or an elite athlete competing on the international stage, we are here to help you fulfil your potential.
Our mission is to revolutionise the way our nation engages in Weight Lifting, Para-Powerlifting, weight bearing and training activities by creating opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to participate. We believe that we can play an important role in making weight lifting a part of everyday, and a means to tackle national inactivity. In doing so, we believe we can help create a healthier, happier and stronger nation.
Our 2016 to 2021 strategy outlines how we aim to achieve these goal; our objectives are to:
- Increase national activity in weight lifting, bearing and training activities
- Promote inclusivity and diversity to create opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to easily get involved in the sport
- Become global leader in Weightlifting, on and off the platform
- Maximise investment, partnerships and good governance to drive the growth of the sport
For the full job description, as well as details on how to apply, click here.
The Job of the Week is brought to you courtesy of Global Sports (GlobalSportsJobs), the world’s leading specialist careers platform for the international sports industry.
ALSD International – Europe’s one and only event dedicated to the Premium Seat & Hospitality sector – is coming to Croke Park Stadium this October, where a stellar lineup of industry experts from across Europe and North America will be providing insights on how to increase revenues through new builds, renovations and service expansions, as well as via the latest F&B and technology offerings.
#ALSDInternational – Europe’s leading event dedicated to the Premium/VIP Seat & Hospitality sector
#sportsvenuebusiness – the world’s leading platform for sector news views & developments